Tuesday, February 25, 2014

music city getaway

My best friend Emily and I have known each other for over twenty years. We met early in high school and became inseparable almost immediately.  She was a year ahead of me in school so went off to college and we briefly lost touch.  It wasn't long before we found each other again and our friendship has just continued to grow as we move through various stages in life.  She's been there for me through some tough and triumphant times and I'm so thankful for her.

I moved to Indiana when I got married in 2003 and a few years later, Emily began travel nursing as an RN. She moved to a different part of the country every few months for several years.  This was while I was in my baby-making hay day so it was hard to make time to see each other for awhile. She's settled down in Nashville and now we have come up with a little way to stay involved in each other's lives and see each other face to face a few times a year. We take turns visiting each other every 3 months. We've been doing this for a year and a half now and I love having our visits to reflect back on and look forward to.  I love that she will be active in my kids' lives and memories as they are growing up.

A good friend I met in Indiana during undergrad went with me to visit Emily and her girlfriend, Lauren, this past weekend. Usually Ryan and I take the boys but this was a girls' weekend bonanza extravaganza.

Whitney and I Friday night before heading out to see Brett Dennen live at 3rd & Lindsley. (Such a great show!)

Super awesome coffee mug Emily & Lauren got me for Christmas from a shop in Chicago. They know me so well! I adore it.


Heard that saying about a really good restaurant..."the line was out the door"?  Well, it was. Brunch on Saturday at Mas Tacos Por Favor was out the door and out of this world.


Whitney, Lauren, and Em waiting on their food.

My food: The chilaquiles special and iced coffee y horchata.

After brunch/lunch, we went to a flea market at the fairgrounds that comes to town once a month. Whitney found some weights. I window shopped and enjoyed the warm (hot) weather.  It was magnificent! We saw lots of neat things. I didn't buy anything but enjoyed the vibe and scenery.



After shopping around the flea market, we went back to the house for some rest and to get ready for Saturday night. We had talked about going to several honky tonk bars on Broadway but we all ran out of steam. We're not 21 anymore after all...

Of course, another highlight of the weekend : Eating more food at The Family Wash.

I love this lady.


And I love these lovelies!



After dinner we stopped at a local brewery's taproom to try one of their signature beers.  Sorry, I didn't like it. I'm a huge beer wuss. The more it tastes like water, the better.  

Broadway was busy!


The one open souvenir shop had some real treasures...

We went home and went to bed after briefly walking around downtown.  Sunday morning it was time to pack up and get ready to head back to cold Indiana. But not before eating some more good food.  


My Bed and Breakfast suite :-)

Chicken n' Biscuits at Edley's. I can't wait to go back and take the boys to this family friendly and delicious local restaurant. It's a bbq joint with amazing atmosphere. As much as I love a pork bbq sandwich, I couldn't pass up that amazing biscuit and local honey. It was my favorite part of the whole meal. Aside from the part where I was basking in 70 degree weather. I thought I was in Destin for a minute.

Whitney and I made it back to my house by about 7:30pm.  Just in time for me to play a few games and read bedtime stories with my sweet boys, who were very excited to have mama back home.  It was a perfect friend-filled, fun-filled weekend. Wouldn't trade the memories for anything and can't wait til I see them again in May!

xo, 
~C~

No comments:

Post a Comment