Sunday, August 12, 2012

am i totally crazy for this?

One of our non-negotiables when looking for a house was that it would have four bedrooms.  All my close family and best friends live out of state so it's always been important to me that my guests have a nice place to lay their heads at night when they are visiting.

We bought a house with three bedrooms.  

It seemed natural at first that the older child would have the bigger of the bedrooms - we're talking about 30 square feet bigger - but that didn't feel right.  They're only 14 months apart anyway.  After thinking about it, we've decided to see how it goes, letting the boys share a room.  The room is about 13.5' x 13.5' and has plenty of room for two cute toddlers.  I guess my instinct is telling me that they play wherever the other one is, they go to bed at the same time, they get up at the same time...so why not?  Does this seem like a disaster in the making? 

Since we bought a house with just three bedrooms, this seems like a simple solution until the boys are older and express a desire for their own space.  There are some possibilities for a fourth bedroom either in the basement or unfinished attic space later on down the road.  

The only thing I worry about is bedtime.  When we move, we are giving Theo's crib to Dexter and getting rid of Dexter's.  Cold turkey.  Theo will have a new house, a new room, and a new bed.  Oh, and he'll be sharing his new room with his little brother.  Too much at once?  Anyway, I anticipate putting them in bed and then Theo getting out of bed 500 times while he is getting used to his new freedom.  Maybe I'll be wrong, I hope I am, but that's what I worry about the most.  

With them both being boys, playing with the same toys, and being so close in age, it just seemed like a good idea.  We shall see...I'll have to keep you posted on that one.  

Here are a few pictures of recent progress, starting with Dexter's crib bedding (from Amazon, last year's Kimberly Grant Zoom Zoom collection) and the new twin bedding I picked out for Theo (currently at Target).


The base colors - light gray and blue (with one row of tape, getting ready for stripes.

A couple of visitors came by to supervise our work. 


They approved.
They had fun playing with the used painter's tape.
Momma working on those stripes.
Finally - finished paint job and the old carpet is gone.

Momma working on the master bedroom.
Going to paint those window walls some other color - just haven't figure out which one yet. The color of the walls is a light aqua shade.  So pretty!  I'm thinking maaaybe red.  Too much?

If you google "red and aqua bedroom," there are so many inspirational images...oh my.  Here's one that I love.


Just realized I was ALL over the place with this. So here's the recap... am I crazy for making/letting the boys share a room?  And is red/aqua awesome or what? 

xo,
~C~

2 comments:

  1. Our oldest daughter (Clara) had to deal with a ton of transition kind of all at once - we had Audrey when Clara was 22.5 months old, and we only had the option of sharing a room for the two (and unfortunately it's less than half the size of your boys' room!), so she was moved into a 'big girl' toddler bed a few months earlier (at about 19 months old). She gets out of bed a lot, but she almost always ends up back in bed to sleep so we don't worry about it. We tried to stagger the changes as much as we could - 'big girl bed', potty training, new baby sister... we wont' wean her from her soother for a few months yet - we'll let her hang on to that! Good luck with all of this, I'm jealous of your big room for the boys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had lots of luck so far with all these changes...I'm just hoping it lasts!!

      Delete