Friday, June 15, 2012

this little thing he does.

We haven't abandoned Dexter's bottle yet.  He still gets one in the morning and one before bed.  With all the other change and uncertainty going on in our lives, it's hard for me to take away that one comfort he's got.  While I'm holding him at night, as he's drinking his bottle, there's this little thing he does.  I want to remember it forever.

What does that have to do with this?


Ryan got me this beautiful silver necklace for Mother's Day this year from Uncommon Goods.  Are you familiar? They have a lot of neat gift ideas, but I really love that they use a lot of recycled materials in their products. 

Mama bird sitting on her nest.

My 2 blue eggs inside.

Nest detail.

The "nest" is copper.

I wear it every day.  Back to bedtime...

Dexter drinks his bottle, holding it with one hand.  Eyes closed, his other hand searches until he finds my necklace.  He manipulates the pieces with his fingers until he gets it just the way he wants it.  When the eggs are out of the nest and out of his way, he rubs the inside of the rounded pieces, holding them between his thumb and forefinger, switching between the silver and copper pieces.  The bottle drains, his eyes get even heavier.  His hand gets heavier until it falls onto his own chest.  That's when I sit and stare at him for a bit longer before kissing his blonde head and whispering "good night, my little egg."  

This mama bird will protect her nest til the end of time.  I wish the little eggs weren't in such a hurry to hatch and fly. 

xo, 
mama bird in the midwest

No comments:

Post a Comment