Friday, May 6, 2011

37 week check-up check-in: my last prenatal appointment

Ever? It's kind of weird being at the end of this pregnancy, knowing that I'm full term now, that the baby could come at any time and be perfectly fine, and that I may never be in this spot again.  We haven't decided for sure if we'll be done at two or if one more child will complete our family. Right now (at full term) I'm pretty much feeling I could be completely content with two children.
Who knows how I'll feel when this sweet, tiny baby turns into a little toddler that no longer wants to be held. One thing I know is that you can't just keep having babies in hopes that one will stay a baby forever.
Regardless, I've been feeling okay...kinda. I guess as well as you could expect to feel at this point. I finally got desperate and filled my prescription for 5 of the Ambien CRs to see if they would help me sleep. I don't know if they are worth $5 apiece, but I have probably slept a little better overall since I started taking them.  
My blood sugars are still good - I only had one high one in the last week. They have been better this time around than they were with Theo. My weight gain I kind of missed because it was a different scale this week and it was the kind with the slide-y thing. I'm pretty sure it was the same as last week or maybe +1 lb.  Blood pressure was 100/60. Heartbeat was in the 130s and my stomach was measuring between 36 and 37 weeks. No change with my cervix, so it doesn't look like I'll be going into labor on my own or anything before next Thursday. One never knows though! 
The only thing that was new/interesting/different from last time was that I had an ultrasound and the baby's estimated weight was 6lbs 8oz. If that is accurate, then this baby should be about the same size Theo was at birth by next Thursday (7lb 1oz). Luckily (or hopefully I guess I should say), the estimates have been a little high lately according to Dr. D. We want a smaller (or at least narrower) baby this time.  The ultrasound tech didn't give away any clues as to the gender, so that was a relief. If I was her though, I would totally look so I could have a "I know something you don't know" party in my head. I bet she looked.
Since I'm not scheduled to arrive at the hospital until 10am Thursday, I'm starting to think the baby might not arrive until Friday the 13th!  By the time I get admitted and IV'd and all that, I'm sure they won't start my Pitocin until 11 at the earliest.  Of course I'd gladly accept a less-than-twelve-hour labor, but I'm not counting on it with an induction. Everything right now is based on speculation and all I can do is cross my fingers and hope for a smooth delivery that results in a healthy baby.
In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy my 31st birthday tomorrow, my 2nd Mother's Day on Sunday, my last 3 days of work until August (it might be a bit of a stretch to say 'enjoy' at this uncomfortable stage), and my last few days of having a busy little low-maintenance baby in my belly.
Have a great weekend!
~C~

No comments:

Post a Comment