Thursday, November 18, 2010

cat's out, baby's comin'

I guess (or at least hope) it's safe to say now that we are expecting another baby!!!

To save you the time and trouble, I'll go ahead and list the FAQs:

Q:  Heavens to Betsy, so soon!? 
A:  Requires no response, as I just told you that I am indeed currently pregnant. 

Q:  Well that certainly was quick.  Just how far along are you?
A: 13 weeks

Q:  Sooooo, when is your due date?
A:  May 26, 2011

Q:  Wow, whoa!  Goodness!  Let me think...what will the age difference be?
A:  14 months.  Er, I mean 14 and a HALF months!

Q:  Ohhh, hmm.  Well.  Interesting.  How long have you known?
A:  Since September 14, 2010

Q:  Was this planned?
A:  *What do you think? (or perhaps)  Why is that important to you?

Q:  And how exactly did this happen?
A:  At this time, I would like to challenge you to use your imagination.

Q:  Don't you know how babies are made? <insert: chuckle, chuckle, snort, snort>
A:  Ah, yes.  You are so very clever.  Clearly, we do know how babies are made.

Q:  Are you excited?
A:  That's a loaded question.  We're working on it and we're getting there.  There are a lot of issues that are creating stress in our lives right now (I'll blog more about those later, I'm sure), but we did say we wanted our kids to be close in age (check) and that we didn't want to go through months and months of trying and hoping and wishing and waiting just to be disappointed again (check).  We need to get some of those issues under control before we are truly jumping up and down for joy.  And I might be too humongous to jump up and down for joy by then, but I'll be doing it on the inside.  Or someone else will be doing it on the inside FOR me.  :)

Q:  Are you hoping for a girl or a boy?
A:  Again, loaded question... we can't decide what would be better (as if we have a choice, haha!).  We always thought it would be nice to have one of each but now that they are going to be so close in age, maybe two little boy buddies would be fun.  Honestly, this time, I can say that I really don't care.  If he or she is as happy and healthy as little Theo, I will be completely thrilled.

Q:  Are you showing yet?
A:  Not yet. I don't think...or at least I don't need maternity clothes yet!

Q:  How have you been feeling?
A:  Exhausted.  Nauseated.  More exhausted.


Did I miss anything?


*I know, I know... "you aren't supposed to answer a question with a question" and "there's no such thing as a stupid question," but I did and there is.  You just asked it.  Not to mention, it's a personal question.  Stop being so nosy.  I'm not trying to be rude, really, but everyone asks this and it gets old.  And it's NOT just because this pregnancy was unplanned.  It got old when I told people I was pregnant with Theo.  Unplanned does not mean unwanted.  Lesson:  When someone tells you they are pregnant, the appropriate response is to say "How exciting!  Congratulations!" rather than ask a nosy, personal, none-of-your-business question.  P.S. I am just as guilty as anyone else of asking this question in the past.  Never again (unless you are my best friend and I know you won't be offended - but if you are my best friend I would probably know if you were planning, right?).  Lesson over, class dismissed!

~C~

8 comments:

  1. Congrats to your growing family! xoxoxo from Aunt Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!! My sister and I are 14 months apart and it worked out just fine. Brandon and Ryan are 2yrs 5 mos apart and it also was fine! No matter what, you will be thrilled I am sure. As far as what sex you would "prefer" for this one, you gave the best answer with "healthy and happy".
    I'm sure all grandparents and relatives are over the moon with excitement. I wish you guys the best!!!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. So well said! You are an excellant mommy, and both these little boogers are so lucky to have you. Life is so fun: planned, unplanned.....it is just life. You have the grace to handle it all beautifully, and I admire you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! It'll all work out in the end and then you won't be able to imagine it being any other way, I'm sure! And yes, so well said. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is hilarious and I love the honesty! Congratulations! Lesley (Harvey) Britt

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally congrats! They're practically going to be Irish twins!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There isn't a mother/women out there that I have met that makes suck an endearling mother. I didn't have a chance to really get to know you until Theo was born. With facebook, your blog and your visit this summer I have come to get to know you and I think that your amazing and born to be a mother. It makes me wonder if I would have embraced it more if I had been older when I started having kids. Kim Somers

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you guys, for all of your kind and encouraging comments!

    ReplyDelete