Wednesday, August 24, 2011

oh, the things you say

Theo's vocab is blowing up every day.  There are things he says that I don't understand, but many more that I do.  I've been trying to remember his first real words, and not just da-da-da-da, because it was more of a sound than a word back then.  The first things I remember him really saying unprompted were "moo" and "shoe," which sounded more like "oooh" and "tsoo."  Here's the list of things I can think of off the top of my head that he's saying now.

see the boo boo on his lip?

moos when he sees a cow
shoe
cow
oinks like a pig when he sees one
hot
coal (cold)
mama
dada
nana
pop
pence (his cousin, Spencer...usually sounds more like "piss") haha!
cat
woofs like a dog when dogs or puppies are mentioned/seen
hoots like an owl when owls are mentioned or seen
roh-ro (Rocco, the babysitter's dog)
wawa (water, wagon, waffle)
mick (milk)
nigh-nigh (night night)
bed
bun-bun (stuffed bunny)
poe (pillow)
boo (boo, blue)
bye bye
huh
poo (poop)
pee
bi-pah or sometimes pie-pah (diaper)
bath
ball
cup
cone (corn)
eat
pay (plate)
boon (spoon)
key-key (cookie)
ka-kah (cracker)
Deh-dur (Dexter)
Dex
step
stick
chirps when he sees a bird
six
one
hoe (home)
eh (egg)
cake (cake, pancake)
choo choo
train
cah (car)
mih-mee (Mickey)
chun (Chuggington)
book
key
buh-bow (bubbles)
cheesh (cheese)
mess
sit
buh (bug)
pa or pa-pa (pacifier)
wall
hi
bock (block)
ow/ouch
boo boo
knee
done
down
toe
han (hand)
tee (teeth)
no (nose)
no-no
ee (ear)
eye
hay (hair, head)
doh (door)
truck
cock (clock! I swear!)
shuwt (shirt)
tra-tah (tractor)
bi (bike, motorcycle)
yay
cap (clap)
moon
sun
stah (star)
ray (red)
nana (banana)
gape (grape)
mo' (more)
peas
bee
ssss (snake, Sylvie - our cat)
rog (frog)
thanks
sah-lee (Sally)
doc
shishy (fishy)
and finally, the occasional s-bomb...shet... (we may need to clean up our language now...could be worse, right?)

He has words for belly, belly button, bagel, walk, circle, mailbox, camera and other words that I can't think of how he pronounces them.  I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting.  If there aren't more today, there will be by tomorrow.  I love watching him learn and make connections at this age.  It's so much fun and really cute how he whispers new words when he is trying them out on his tongue. 

What do you think?  Is he talking a lot for a 17 month old or is this pretty typical?

~C~

2 comments:

  1. That's a good vocab! My pedi said that he likes to see 50 words and at least one set of strung together words (bye mama, bye daddy, etc) by age 2. I didn't count but I'd say your little man is doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. His 18 month appointment is Friday - we'll see!

    ReplyDelete